How to format a drive using Mac OS
- Connect the drive to your computer.
- Open Disk Utility. (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility).
- From the list on the left, click on the external drive (not the indented item underneath).
- Click the 'Erase' tab at the top of the Disk Utility window.
- Enter a name for the drive and select 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)' or 'APFS' from the Format drop down menu.*
- Select 'GUID' from the Scheme drop down menu.
- Click the 'Erase' button. You will be presented with an 'Are you Sure' dialog. Confirm to complete the action.
(1) Choose 'exFAT' if you will be using the drive with both Windows & Mac.
(2) We do not recommend APFS if formatting a Mobius 5-Bay RAID as it will result in slower performance.