How to format a new drive using Windows
- Press the Windows Symbol + R keys to open the Run box.
- Type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter. The Disk Management window will open.
- You may receive an Initialize Disk prompt. If so, choose GUID and click OK.
- In the lower-half of the window, locate the disk from the list.
- Right-click on the Unallocated box and select New Simple Volume.
- Continue to click Next to accept the default settings. (Change the file system to exFAT if you will be using the drive with both Windows and Mac) .
- When the process is completed, the drive is identified with a drive letter and Healthy.You can now use the new drive.
How to erase and reformat an existing drive using Windows
- Press the Windows Symbol + R on your keyboard to open the Run box.
- Type diskpart, and press Enter. A command window will open.
- Type list disk and press Enter.
- Choose the drive by entering select disk x; for example "select disk 2" if it is listed as disk 2 (make sure to select the correct drive!). Press Enter.
- Type clean and press Enter.
- The drive's formatting will be removed. It will say "Successful" upon completion.
- Type convert gpt and press Enter.
- Type create part pri and press Enter.
- Type format fs=ntfs quick and press Enter.(see notes)
- Type assign and press Enter. It will say "Successful" upon completion.
- Enter exfat instead of ntfs if the drive will be used with Win & Mac.