How to format a drive using Mac OS
- Connect the drive to your computer.
- Open Disk Utility. (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility).
- From the list on the left, click on the external drive (not the indented item underneath).
- Click the 'Erase' tab at the top of the Disk Utility window.
- Enter a name for the drive and select 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)' or 'APFS' from the Format drop down menu.*
- Select 'GUID' from the Scheme drop down menu.
- Click the 'Erase' button. You will be presented with an 'Are you Sure' dialog. Confirm to complete the action.
Note: Select exFAT if you will be using the drive with both Windows & Mac.